BlueZone. ANESTHETIC COLLECTION SERVICE. Saving our neighborhoods every day.

Green Facts

Greening of Anesthesia in the operating rooms

Toxic anesthetics are vented to the outdoors

During surgery, less than 5% of the total anesthetics administered to the patient are actually  metabolized. The remaining 95% are toxic gases, and are recognized as an occupational health and safety hazard. As such, these gases are routinely vented outdoors through the operating room air scavenging system.

This is a significant issue for both the medical community and general public. Vented anesthetics negatively impact air quality and contribute to global warming and there are serious. concerns about their effect on human health.

In North America alone, there are approximately 54,000 operating rooms releasing applied anesthetics, which amounts to about 4 million tonnes of eCO2 each year. This equates to the CO2 emissions of over 1 million cars, and these emissions are predicted to double over the next few years.

These vented anesthetics are halogenated ethers, highly toxic and potent greenhouse gases, which are potentially lethal when inhaled in high dosage. The gases are seven times heavier than air and they are very stable, meaning that they have the potential to cause an adverse impact on the hospital’s local neighborhood.


Scientific Fact: Anesthetics are potent greenhouse gases that have a 20-year global warming impact up to 3,766 times greater than CO2.

One average size hospital annually releases emissions equivalent to about 400 cars.

To offset these emissions, each hospital would have to plant approximately 125,000 trees each year.

Concern: Hospital annual anesthetic emissions are expected to double. The global anesthetic market grows by about 10-15% per year. This means the market is doubling every 7 to 10 years, as do the associated emissions of vented anesthetics.


Kevin Dalgliesh, RRT, RRCP "Change out of Deltasorb® canisters is safe, fast, easy and trouble-free. Blue-Zone service is reliable, timely and friendly." ...
image description

Blue-Zone Story

Deltasorb® Anesthetic Collection Service Launches New Website

Blue-Zone Technologies is pleased to announce the launch of its new Deltasorb® Anesthetic Collection Service website. The website is a resource...


15) What happens if the cap is lost or not closed properly when not in use?

The cap is cosmetic. The canister will not 'leak' unless subjected to controlled operating conditions similar to those in use at our production facili...

Contact Info

14-84 Citation Drive Concord (Toronto), ON Canada L4K 3C1
Tel: (905) 761-1224 Fax: (905) 761-3371

Articles of Interest

  • Blue Zone

    Blue-Zone Receives Drug Approval From Health Canada for Its Branded Generic Desflurane, USP.

    Blue-Zone prepares for local production and commercial launch of Desflurane, safeguarding access to this critical drug for all Canadians and providing significant cost savings to hospitals. ...

  • Blue Zone

    The Anesthetic Gasses Hurting the Environment From Operating Rooms

    Blue-Zone is featured on CBC television program "The National"....

  • Blue Zone

    Green Solutions - A Greener Way to Get Anesthetized

    Blue-Zone is featured in the Globe and Mail....